English 3, Post 8 (FINAL), 'Tell us about a subject you enjoy studying'

  Good n' Old Earthlings from FCQF!

This is our FINAL blog post (entry). For the last time, you are cordially invited to write about a subject you enjoyed studying (University or High School)

Include this information:

·        What is the subject? Describe it.

·        Why do you enjoy it?

·        What have you learned?

·        What did you think about it before you studied it?

    Upload pictures (optional)

Make comments on 3 of your classmates’ posts + a comment on your teacher's post

Word Count: 170 words

For the last time, I will leave you with a written sample,

"The name of my favourite subject when at University was “Literature III: Seminar on Shakespeare”. It is of no mystery that the subject revolved around the playwright, poet and sometimes actor, William Shakespeare. We basically studied the phenomenon of his works under a critical-historical approach, that is to say, not only working with first-hand material but also dealing with critical texts and essays.

Many of the contents were concerned with the historical period (XVI-XVII Century) in which William Shakespeare lived. For instance, one of his contemporaries, John Donne, which was a Metaphysical poet, was studied under comparative scrutiny with the sonnets of Shakespeare. Both works were contrasted; on the one hand, The Holy Sonnets by Donne which applied a sacred treatment, versus, Shakespeare’s sonnets which celebrated profane beauty.

The reasons why I liked the subject are many, and can be summarized as the following list; (1)Literature, as far as I am concerned, served as intellectual escapism when at school, i.e., not having to deal with the hardships of adolescence was one of the great things involving literature; (2) Literature contains a very “flexible” character, i.e., there is a feeling of absolute liberty when working with comparative approaches. You can take walk through culture and human history through Literature, and you may learn about the “zeitgeist” (spirit of the time) of every single time period, on how humans conceived tragedy, happiness and how a “locus amoenus” (the idea of a pleasant place, a literary topic as well) is profoundly different from one period to another".

What about you?

Cheers.

Comments

  1. reading is an incredible way to escape from reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, literature doesn't attract my attention much, but when I was reading this, I realized that from his perspective, literature looks interesting and good for reality escape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like reading, I'm sure that if we had a course that showed us the history of food engineering I could have done blog 7 :c

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like literature very much, but you are right that there is a lot of freedom in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Literature fosters intellectuality, but it is also very varied for different tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really interesting, but very deep to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a really big fan of literature, however I think it contributes a lot to people 'cause it gives them a way to express themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Shakespeare, although the only text I have read is Hamlet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally, I don't like read but I know the importance it has for human development.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand the intellectual escapism in literature, when I read a book that I like, I forget about time and what surrounds me, and I don't notice how far I have advanced until a long time passes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shakespeare life is very interesting. I had to read some books of him in school, but I didn’t understand them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how great Shakespeare is, it made me want to know more about his work and life. regards

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never read Shakespeare, but i know that he has a huge influence on culture and with this post you wrote i was curious to know more about him

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know Shakespeare's literature, but i can see from what you wrote that it is very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  16. incredible focus on how literature relates to our childhood or adolescent issues, thank you very much <3 , I had the opportunity to read Shakespeare and I share the same feeling as you, it never ceases to amaze how his criticism fits our society.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I have never read a text by that author, I will look for it later!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

English 3, Post 2, 'Why did I choose my major (study program)?'

English 3, Post 5, 'A photo and its story'

English 3, Post 1, 'Who am I?'